Wednesday, November 12, 2014

WIWOW : What I'm Working On Wednesday

I'm going to try for a semi-regular thing here. On Wednesdays I'll post a few things I'm working on (I know it's more traditional to call them WIPs or Works in Progress, but WIPW isn't as fun to say as WIWOW, dammit). I might include what I'm reading or listening to as well.

Without further ado, here's what I'm working on this Wednesday!


I'm in the middle of making my second muslin for my first Colette Hazel. I tried to fudge it without an FBA but it's not working, so I had to cut another one. I did an FBA using this diagram and we'll see how well I did! I'm also making a muslin for a Maria Denmark Edith blouse. Lotsa white and beige in here this week (and so boring to photograph).

Zzzzzzzz. I swear, flashy fabrics coming soon.


Nick and I started listening to the audiobook of The Shining on our last road trip, so I've been finishing that up. We plan to go to the Stanley Hotel for our anniversary next year (I know, so romantic)! And I totally want to make something out of this fabric one day.


Annnnd I have been watching my way through Gilmore Girls again. I love this show so much. SO MUCH.  Preach, Lorelai.

Monday, November 3, 2014

Finished Objects : November 3, 2014

Okay! After a long hiatus and lots of (over)thinking, here is my first sewing blog post! I wanted a place to log some of my makes and decided this would be a good way to do it. Later, I'll include more detail about what I did and better pictures, but I decided to just go ahead and get this one done.

Without further ado, here are three recently finished objects!

One: Colette Sorbetto Top

This is my third version of this shirt. I have been slowly learning to fit with the Sorbetto pattern, practicing the FBA and other fitting techniques. It's not perfect, but it's pretty good! This is the first time I made my own bias tape and I'm really pleased with how it turned out.

  • Red and white gingham, probably poly-cotton (bought on clearance at JoAnn's)
  • Turquoise ric-rac left over from our wedding decorations
  • The fit on this is pretty good, though next time I need to lower the armhole a bit and I think I will split the darts (they are a little pointy).
  • This fabric is pilling like crazy after just 2-3 wears. I'm a little bummed about that.

Two & Three: Simplicity 2459 (Simply Baby)

I made these two for our friends' twins. Baby clothes are so fun to make! The hardest part was deciding what fabric to use. They came together pretty easily, though I had to adapt a few things on the fly. I finished them both with all enclosed seams for durability. I accidentally sewed the pocket onto the back bodice of the overalls, but it looked so nice that I just left it (so there is one on front and back). I delivered the dress a few weeks ago, but was delayed on the overalls when I sewed the straps in upside down. Oops! It was a pretty easy fix though.

PATTERN: Simplicity 2459 (Baby's romper in two lengths, jumper, and knit bodysuit)

  • Both pieces were pretty simple to put together. It was nice to practices some of the techniques on a small scale like that.
  • I traced the pattern (these were made with the largest size - 18 months) so I can make them again in different sizes
  • I am not a baby clothes expert, but they both seem to have a good bit of ease, especially in length.
  • That interweave chambray is GORGEOUS. It has two different color yarns, one in weft and one in warp, which blend to make a very luminous shade of blue. I plan to make myself a skirt out of it in one of the colorways soon. 

SO! That's all from me right now. I'm working on a muslin for a Colette Hazel that I will eventually make with this Michael Miller Floraliscious. Then it is onward to work appropriate clothing!