Monday, November 3, 2014

Finished Objects : November 3, 2014

Okay! After a long hiatus and lots of (over)thinking, here is my first sewing blog post! I wanted a place to log some of my makes and decided this would be a good way to do it. Later, I'll include more detail about what I did and better pictures, but I decided to just go ahead and get this one done.

Without further ado, here are three recently finished objects!

One: Colette Sorbetto Top


This is my third version of this shirt. I have been slowly learning to fit with the Sorbetto pattern, practicing the FBA and other fitting techniques. It's not perfect, but it's pretty good! This is the first time I made my own bias tape and I'm really pleased with how it turned out.


SUPPLIES:
  • Red and white gingham, probably poly-cotton (bought on clearance at JoAnn's)
  • Turquoise ric-rac left over from our wedding decorations
THOUGHTS:
  • The fit on this is pretty good, though next time I need to lower the armhole a bit and I think I will split the darts (they are a little pointy).
  • This fabric is pilling like crazy after just 2-3 wears. I'm a little bummed about that.

Two & Three: Simplicity 2459 (Simply Baby)




I made these two for our friends' twins. Baby clothes are so fun to make! The hardest part was deciding what fabric to use. They came together pretty easily, though I had to adapt a few things on the fly. I finished them both with all enclosed seams for durability. I accidentally sewed the pocket onto the back bodice of the overalls, but it looked so nice that I just left it (so there is one on front and back). I delivered the dress a few weeks ago, but was delayed on the overalls when I sewed the straps in upside down. Oops! It was a pretty easy fix though.

PATTERN: Simplicity 2459 (Baby's romper in two lengths, jumper, and knit bodysuit)

SUPPLIES:
THOUGHTS:
  • Both pieces were pretty simple to put together. It was nice to practices some of the techniques on a small scale like that.
  • I traced the pattern (these were made with the largest size - 18 months) so I can make them again in different sizes
  • I am not a baby clothes expert, but they both seem to have a good bit of ease, especially in length.
  • That interweave chambray is GORGEOUS. It has two different color yarns, one in weft and one in warp, which blend to make a very luminous shade of blue. I plan to make myself a skirt out of it in one of the colorways soon. 

SO! That's all from me right now. I'm working on a muslin for a Colette Hazel that I will eventually make with this Michael Miller Floraliscious. Then it is onward to work appropriate clothing!


No comments: