This is my sewing table before. It was a 6' Ikea desk that has travelled with me for 7-8 years now. It was nice to be able to spread out, but ultimately I just used the length as storage. You can also see a dinky but useful plastic drawer unit (also from Ikea) that I use for fabric storage.
I spent a week or so going through everything in my sewing room, which was a bit of a catchall for anything crafty, plus a few office-type things as well. I bought new containers and sorted everything. I purged a bit along the way.
This is what the room looked like cleared out as I was playing with the layout (and the subsequent mess I made in the living room!). I used a large piece of tracing paper to stand in for the standing height table I was building.
I might cover this more in depth later, but here is a sneak peak at the new table. I used two shelving units for the legs, and bought a piece of birch plywood (that I had Home Depot cut to size) for the top. I spent all day Saturday sanding and sealing it. It looks so good! It is about 37" tall and the surface is 3' x 6'. I am v. excited about it!
Finally, here is a panorama showing the layout I finally landed on. I'll be doing most of my sewing at the small desk in front of the window I have a few more pieces of art to hang and then I can show you some finished shots! I can already tell it is going to be great for my productivity (and my back)!