Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Sewing Goals for 2015


As the new year approaches, I wanted to talk a little about my sewing goals for 2015. I have never been great at New Year's Resolutions, but I find if I make goals with flexibility to adapt in mind I am more likely to keep them. With that being said, I have three main goals for the year.


Sew with knits

This is a no brainer, and it's pretty silly that I've been putting it off. I wear a lot of knits. I know they are much easier to fit. I need to sew with them to make a well rounded wardrobe. I have a few knit patterns already and many more on my wish list, so it's time for me to learn sewing with knits. I have some plans for what to sew - see #3.


Make seasonal sewing plans

Again, no brainer. If I want a well rounded wardrobe I have to plan it. I went through the Wardrobe Architect series earlier this year, but I haven't done a good job of implementing it. I'd like to work through it again and really think about clothes I need to sew or purchase. And I need to think about the clothes I need to make when I am buying fabric. I can get a bit distracted by fancy fabric (don't we all)! Case in point - I went to JoAnn's the other night for some supplies and some stretch denim with hearts just jumped into my arms! But I think I've worked it into my third goal.


Participate in Me Made May

With the first two goals in mind, I felt that participating in Me Made May (that link is for the 2014 sign up, but contains an explanation of what MMM is) would be a great third goal and a way to get my butt in gear with an early deadline. If I'm not meeting my goals as May approaches, I can re-evaluate. That being said, I already have things that I have made in my collection - scarves, jewelry, and clothes - that I don't wear enough, so I think I'll have plenty to rotate through the month.

Based on my first round with Wardrobe Architect, I have come up with a list of ten things to make. I will finish as many as I can before May. I have mostly planned to sew things with fabric and patterns I already have (including a Moneta dress and cropped sweater hack). This list may change in the next few months as I work through fitting different patterns, so I'm keeping my plans adaptable. Right now I am thinking four shirts, three skirts, and three dresses will be a good start.


I'll be back later this week to share my ten items!

No comments: